Friday, December 3, 2010

ONE OF MY UNFORGETTABLE EMBARRASSING EXPERIENCES

I have had a lot of  embarrassing moments. But none is as unforgettable as the one that happened to  me three years ago. I was on my way home from school. My friend was with me too. We were waiting for the bus. It was a very hot and humid afternoon. There was a big crowd gathered at the bus station. We waited patiently. Unfortunately, luck was not on our side. Two buses, packed to the brim, came and went off. The longer we waited, the angrier I became. Probably, I was hungry. I could sense that the crowd was getting agitated too. When the third bus came, there was mad rush for it. Needless to say, I joined the crowd. I have learned that in such a situation, ‘the fittest survives’.
The moment I stepped into the bus, I started muttering and grumbling. People were shoving and scrambling for the available seats. I managed to find a seat for my friend and I. The air was stuffy and the heat was unbearable. Little wonder, I groaned in disbelief. The window beside my seat was shut. I tried to open it but could not to. I figured that there was something stuck in between this particular window. I was determined to open it, no matter how difficult. I thought I heard someone shouted at me that the window was jammed and it could not be opened. But I was so engrossed in opening it that I paid no head to the advice. I tried with all my might. Finally with a mighty heave, I jerked the window free. Did I say free? Guess what? The window slipped out to the side and dropped out from its place. At the same time, the bus was turning the corner of the road. I was so shocked that I could just look at the falling window. When I regained from my senses, it was too late. The window had fallen off the bus and broken into a thousand pieces on the roadside.
The conductor quickly called out to the bus driver to stop the bus. He got out from the bus and brought back the steel frame of the window. I was so embarrasses that I felt like burying myself in a deep hole. My face turned red out of  humiliation. By this time, I was scared out of my wits because I was worried that the conductor would ask me to pay for the broken window. Instead, he and the bus driver broke into laughter! I laughed too with the rest of  the students in the bus.
I was so thankful that they did not ask me to pay for the broken window. When I told my parents about the incident, they had a good laugh too. They reminded me ot to be ‘tomboyish’ in the future and behave more like a lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment